Friday, November 11, 2011

Happiness held is the seed; Happiness shared is the flower. - John Harrigan

While I have been searching out materials for the next few encaustic paintings, I have not been idle.

I have been working on some jewellery concepts, so I thought I would take this opportunity to show you those.

For years I have wanted to do a 3D lotus flower. Problem is, that it's really difficult to create that in a way that is easily reproducible. Sure, I can carve one no problem, but they cannot be moulded that way. I finally figured out a way to make it in 4 layers, which can then be reassembled each time. Labour intensive, but I think the result is very satisfying! The layers also allow me to use the same components to do more than just a pendant. I was able to do a ring and a bracelet as well.


Lotus Flower Pendant

This piece is about 1 3/8 inches in diameter, and the finished weight is roughly 11-12 grams in sterling silver.


Lotus Flower Bracelet

The next piece I worked on was the bracelet. I cut off the bail from the back, pierced two of the leaves, and soldered on the chain and lobster claw findings.



Lotus Flower Ring

Finally, I created the ring, using 3 of the 4 layers, in order to allow some "lift" off the fingers. I was concerned also about the diameter being too much for  most peoples hands. Certainly, I can create a custom ring with all 4 layers if someone wishes it, but for now, due to the way I made the layers I wouldn't suggest it. 

As usual, I also had fun writing the label that goes with it. Most of my pieces have a label with the meaning of the piece, and this one is no exception. Here is a copy of the meaning of the lotus flower as per the label I made:

"In cultures from ancient Egypt, across Asia and into India, they have been used to represent the human soul, divine purity, enlightenment, wealth and rebirth.

Egyptians said the lotus flower represented the sun and rebirth. In one of their creation legends, the sun rose out of a lotus that had grown from a watery chaos.

For the Buddhists, the lotus represents rising above desire and attachment, as the lotus rises above the muddy waters. It's one of the eight auspicious symbols, and represents purity of speech, mind and body. Different colours represent different aspects of perfection.

In Hinduism the lotus represents prosperity, beauty, fertility, eternity and eternal youth, purity and divinity. The suggestion is that people should be as the lotus, rise above the muddy waters and attachment, and blossom. Lotus flowers are also used to represent the chakras.

In todays world, lotus flowers still carry their ancient meanings of purity and perfection, with modern reinterpretations. They symbolize life, new beginnings and the possibility of people blossoming into something beautiful."


I am really, really happy with the results of this latest project. Certainly everyone who sees it says they think it is stunning! What do you think? I'd love to get your feedback!



No comments:

Post a Comment