Saturday, July 24, 2010

I make no excuses for Abstract Expressionism, but some of it was 'splash and hope.' ~ Jack Madson

Time for more of the paintings I have been up to in recent weeks. Sorry it takes me a while to find the time to update the blog, but life is busy, so what can you do?

For the past couple of weeks, I have been working with the same techniques as before - pouring and throwing plaster and paint of the canvas. here are some of the results:





Glitter Wave, 8 x 10, acrylic & plater on canvas. The lighting for these paintings is a little bit difficult, as I have used metallic colours, iridescent colours , and even some glitter. These don't show as well in photos as they do in person. This one is very lively and the sparkles just light it up.




Caught in the rain, 8 x 10, acrylic and plaster on canvas. I just love the textures in this one, and the way the colours run together. I called it "Caught in the Rain" because as I looked at it once it was dry, I could see "people" in the dark purple at the bottom, and it looks to me like like they are running to get out of the rain.




Joy to the World, 8 x 10 acrylic and plaster on canvas. There is quite a bit more texture than you can see in this photo, as the painting is quiet 3D. It is very lively, energetic and joyful in the colouring.




Spirit Essence 1, 12 x 12, acrylic and plaster on canvas board. The lighting for these paintings is a little bit difficult, as I have used metallic gold, and even some glitter, just like the one above.  The great thing about this series is that there is no way to reproduce another exactly like this, so they are truly one of a kind.




Spirit Essence 2, 12 x 12, acrylic and plaster on canvas board. 



Firefly, 12 x 12, acrylic and plaster on canvas board.  I have used metallic colours, the pink, purple, blue are all iridescent and metallic colours. These don't show as well in photos as they do in person. Though I had not intentionally created a firefly, the shape started to suggest it as I was working, so I went with it, but loosely, and in a more abstract way. 



Cotton Candy, 6 x 8, acrylic and plaster on canvas. Another one using the sparkles, and iridescent colours, which unfortunately don't show up as well as I would like in the pictures.




Powerfull Pizzazz, 6 x 8, acrylic and plaster on canvas. This one is extremely full of energy and pizzazz!  I love the textures in this one as well.




The Midas Touch, 6 x 8, acrylic and plaster on canvas. This one takes a more literal turn compared to the others, and the picture is deceiving, in that it makes it appear like the hand is convex on the canvas, but it is instead concave. A LOAD of plaster is on this canvas making it quite heavy.

These are all of course available for purchase in my Artfire store:


I have lots of other new ideas and work that I have been busy with for the past few weeks, and I will do my best to update the blog sooner this time. Meantime, don't stand too still - there exists the very real possibility that you'll become a part of my next art project, covered with plaster and paint!


1 comment:

  1. I love all the different moods the different paintings. These are great!

    ReplyDelete